Friday, July 8, 2016

Welcome to the Blog!

Countdown to Australia: 4 days!!!

Four days. Four days until I leave Arkansas for the adventure of a lifetime. Four days until I go.

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Caroline Halford, and I am a student at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR. For the next five months, though, I will be a student at the University of Newcastle in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.

This is a BIG deal for me. Here's why:


  • I have lived in the same house in Little Rock for my entire life. 
  • My university is just about three hours away from that home. 
  • The longest I have been away from Arkansas was about 2 weeks when I was 14.
  • The farthest I have been away from home is San Diego, California (about 1,700 miles)
  • I have NEVER been out of the country. 

Now I am jumping head first into a whole new world. Newcastle (or Newi as the Aussies say) is about 9,000 miles and 15 hours ahead of Little Rock. It's in a different hemisphere, on a different continent. I guess when I decided to go, I decided to go far. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

What else am I to do, then, other than document my experiences on a blog? I am planning on posting pictures, stories, and anything else I can come up with to give you a little peak into what it is like to be an American studying abroad in Newcastle...to be Newi in town!

Stay tuned, folks, there will be a lot of posts (and puns) headed your way soon! 

Now I need to go pack. Anyone know how to fit my whole life into a couple of pieces of luggage?

Toodle-oo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment