Friday, December 2, 2016

A Love Letter to Australia

To Australia, my home for the past five months:


When I arrived here, I did not know what to expect. Despite desperate attempts to set low expectations and ward off disappointment, my hopes were high when I disembarked my plane on July 15th. And since July 15th, those expectations have far been exceeded.

A country full of joy, you welcomed me with open arms. I was full of fear and excitement that Friday morning. I had no idea what to do or how to get around, but I learned to find my way.

Over these five months, I have changed. I have discovered a new side of myself. I am bolder, braver, and more sure of myself. I have had amazing adventures. I have had dreams come true.

Australia, home to the Great Barrier Reef, Australia Zoo, Sydney Opera House, and Harbour Bridge.



Australia, home to koalas, kangaroos, dingoes, crocodiles, and scary spiders.



Australia, where the sun shines bright and it is warm almost year-round.



Australia. I love you.

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I could have made. Coming to Australia was one of the best decisions I could have made.

With just over 36 hours until I begin my journey back to the United States, I am becoming more and more sentimental about leaving you, Australia.

          I'll miss the way the wind pushes hair out of my face. I'll miss the salty           sea air and warm, damp sand squishing between my toes as I walk                 along the beach.

          I'll miss the loud squawks of the lorikeets and magpies as they swoop             in from overhead. I'll miss hearing "how you going?," "cheers, mate,"             and "g'day" on an almost daily basis.

          I'll miss the long train to Sydney, the characters I met on the buses,                 and the ferries on the harbour.

          I'll miss walking on the left side of the sidewalk.

And despite our months-long feud, I'll even miss the sea gulls.


What I would miss most, though, is the adventure. But the adventure doesn't end here. I have a heart for trying new things and seeking adventure in every part of my life. I know I will continue to travel when I can, and I will find adventure in my day-to-day activities, too.

This isn't an ending, but a new beginning. And I know I'll be back someday, Australia. This isn't goodbye forever.

Thank you for the adventures. I love you, Australia.

Until next time.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!



No comments:

Post a Comment