Sunday, July 17, 2016

Newi Home: Mediocre Advice for Renting Abroad

I have officially moved into the room I'll be renting for this semester! It is a cute little place that feels incredibly home-y, and I have the nicest landlords EVER. That being said, I have a word of advice for anyone renting abroad, especially if you're looking to be in Newi.



Look online and contact landlords ahead of time. Know a few options and pick a favorite, but don't commit until you've seen it in person. Looking ahead makes the transition a lot easier without the commitment of a lease signed before you see the place.

Rent from a person, not a real estate agent (if you can). This is what I'm doing. When you work with real people who really care, you have a much better experience. Kiri and Paul picked me up from my hotel to drive me to the house, made sure I had all the furniture I'd need, and drove me back from the supermarket after my initial shopping trip. They've done so much more, too. They've shown me how to get to the uni from the house and worked very hard to make sure I feel safe and confident in my first days here.
On the other side of this, I know a couple people renting from agents. It may work out, but one person told me that the agent left her the wrong keys and then refused to come back to give her the correct set until morning...or afternoon. He was 3+ hours late even then. Certain pieces of furniture weren't in the room as promised. It just was a hassle. Luckily, it will be fine, but rent through a person if you can.

Make sure you bring the correct adapters. This is my current struggle since my converter and adapter combo doesn't support my laptop...so I'm writing this on my phone! Yippee!

Finally, pack light and pack well. If you think you're not bringing enough stuff, you likely have more than enough. Studying, traveling, and living abroad is not about stuff. It's about experiences.

P.S. If you would like my mailing address, send me a text or Facebook pm! I LOVE MAIL!




No comments:

Post a Comment