Sunday, July 31, 2016

Donuts, Surfers, and Sunsets, Oh My!

11 miles. That's how far I walked today. Eleven miles up and down the streets of downtown Newcastle, through the shops of Darby and Hunter Street, and along three different beaches. And I think those eleven miles earned me a donut...or maybe two.


Doughheads Donut shop is an adorable little bakery found in the middle of the Hunter Street shops. Their donuts are legendary, and they come in flavors like Caramel Toast, Nutella, Cinnamon Sugar, and Top Deck, a donut drenched in chocolate ganache and topped with white chocolate shavings. (Is your mouth watering yet?)

After a bus ride and a quick walk to the shop, I happily ordered a Caramel Toast and a Top Deck donut. I spent $9 AUD for two donuts and ate undoubtedly hundreds and hundreds of calories. 

WORTH IT. These were, and I say this with utmost certainty, by far the best donuts I have eaten in my entire life. And I have had some pretty great donuts in my twenty or so years of existence. 

Above: the remains of a Top Deck donut.
(This was eaten immediately after the picture was taken)

Below: a VERY happy Caroline
Yum.

As we walked along three of the local beaches, we came across many surfers. It was 70*F/21*C today, and gorgeously sunny. This is the best kind of weather, if you ask me! 


Below are a few of my first attempts at photographing surfers. In hindsight, this probably is pretty creepy, but what they do is so cool. (Side note: if you are one of the surfers pictured and somehow stumbled upon this blog, thank you for being such a cool subject to photograph!)



They make it look easy. (As if!)

Between the donuts, shopping, photography, and beach walking, we stayed in downtown Newcastle until sunset. As someone who loves a good sunset, I was amazed when I realized that I had yet to fully see, appreciate, and photograph an Australian sunset. So, here you go: Aussie Sunset, Take 1.


Finally, before I go, I thought I would give you all one more update: The Seagull Feud is alive and well. While they did decide to pose for me today, I still got some low fliers at the beach and some very sinister looks from them. War strategies are being drawn up as we speak. To be continued...









No comments:

Post a Comment