Sunday, August 14, 2016

P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney



So, the title is a misnomer...apparently, Wallaby Way is not a real street in Sydney. How disappointing is that? (For those of you who do not know, that is a Finding Nemo reference, once again.)

Despite this one let down, the weekend in Sydney was incredible. We originally went for a boat tour of the Sydney Harbour with the Exchange Student Network, but Elise and I ended up staying the night in a hostel so we could explore the next morning.

Our boat was late (sorry, on Aussie time), but it was also ENORMOUS. It can fit up to 900 people on it, and when combined with the University of New South Wales, our group had just below 600.


Honestly, this was one of the coolest things I've done since I got here. We sailed Darling Harbour, went underneath the Harbour Bridge, passed the Sydney Opera House, and danced the night away. It really was one of those surreal experiences when I was very aware that I was actually in Australia!

Below are just a few pictures that I managed to capture while aboard the boat. It was so crowded, so most of the other ones I took were not the highest quality.






 After we got off the boat, we walked along the Harbour briefly before starting toward our hostel. Just as we were about to leave, though, I reached for my phone out of my purse to find it gone. 

The short version of this story is that I left it in the bathroom. Aussies, in my experience, are very honest people, though, thank goodness. Elise ended up calling my phone and a nice woman answered and told her that she'd grabbed my phone and was waiting for a call to figure out whose it was.

I recollected my phone (and my sanity) and we started our walk to the hostel.

The next morning, we woke up, checked out of the hostel, and came across a charity run taking place outside. After maneuvering our way around the many tutu-donned runners, we hit gold.

The holy grail. The land of happiness. 

Starbucks. The first Starbucks I've seen since leaving LAX (and that one was temporarily closed). You could say I was a little happy. 


Maybe it is a bit of an exaggeration, but this was the best frappuccino I've ever had. I think it was just because I've missed it so much. 

The next stop of the morning was the Sydney Tower Eye, an attraction in the center of town with a 360 degree view of the city. And wow, were those views breathtaking. 





And it wouldn't be a true trip to Sydney with an up-close and personal view of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House in the daytime. That's right, I made it.


And I claimed them as my own.


Then, on our way out of the city, I came across two statues that made Sydney really feel like home. 

That's right, all the way from Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA, I give you Tusk IV...


And Phi Mu's Sir Fidel!


We may not have found Nemo or Dory, but we made up for it and then some with a great, busy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment