Monday, November 28, 2016

Meandering through Melbourne


As of yesterday, I have one week until I leave Australia. This feels completely surreal. 

On one hand it seems that there is no way I have already been here for five months, but on the other, it feels like I haven’t been home in years. It’s bittersweet beyond words. 

I am going to be spending my last week in Australia in Newcastle, going to the beach, packing my things, and doing some last minute souvenir shopping. 

But that’s not what this post is about. I had one final adventure this past week in Melbourne. Compared to some of my other holidays, this was quite a low-key and relaxing few days…once I got settled, that is. 


I arrived in Melbourne Wednesday evening, and immediately I discovered two problems: I had no idea how the tram system worked, and IT. WAS. COLD.*** 

But Caroline, isn’t it almost summer in Australia? Yes, yes it is. 

But Caroline, wasn’t it 95*F when you left Cairns? Yes, yes it was. 

But Caroline, didn’t you check the weather forecast before? Well, that’s pretty difficult to do with nearly non-existent wifi…so no, no I didn’t.

Well how did you solve these problems, then?

I’m glad you asked! My initial plan was just to jog in place until a tram got there, and then continue to take trams until I got close to the hostel. I never said I was practical when I’m cold. 

Eventually, it dawned on me to look at the map at the tram stop (WHAT they have MAPS?), so two trams later, I was at the hostel. 

The next day, I began by heading to Target to purchase some pants. Once I had changed into them, I was good to go and I began wandering the streets.  

In these few short days, I fell in love with Melbourne. It’s a very artsy city, filled with tons of street art/graffiti, galleries, museums, and incredible architecture. Cafes and boutiques line the streets and alleyways. It is the perfect city to just wander aimlessly through, for you never know what you’ll come across. 




So, I stumbled upon a walking tour and joined in. 


I wandered through alleyways until I found Hosier Lane, a street famous for its graffiti. 


 

I came across a sign for a Banksy exhibit at Fed. Square, and since he’s a famous street artist, I thought it was only appropriate to go to view it. 



I wandered down St. Kilda’s Beach, collecting the most perfect seashells I’ve ever seen. 
I ate pastries every place I went. I just enjoyed life. 



And I am still enjoying life, soaking up every last bit of sun, every moment I have left here in the land down under. There aren’t many left. 



***Okay, so what is this “cold” that I’m talking about? Apparently I have become a true Australian now. I looked, and it was only 55*F. Not exactly a polar vortex. Pray for me; I may get frostbite leaving the Little Rock airport next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment